Comerford Dam, Vermont

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Looking for a Place to Call Home

From my computer desk in Vermont, it seemed like there was an abundant and continuous flow of available apartments, condos and furnished rooms available for rent in Cuenca. Almost every day, a new housing opportunity was posted on one of the websites for Cuenca wannabes. I figured this would be the least of my worries.

Not so, it turns out. All those listings, with enticing photos of rooms and views of the city aren't actually available. "Sorry, I don't have any listings at present," from one agent who has six or seven places posted on his website. WHY ARE THEY POSTED IF THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE? If you can't keep your website updated, how efficient are you at the rest of your job? Just sayin'.

So, my first lesson in how things don't exactly go according to plan here in Cuenca.

Suggestions from expats who have already survived the looking-for-a-place-to-live ordeal include: "Buy a paper." "No, don't do that, most people don't advertise - just walk around and look for 'se arriende' signs."

Bueno, based on the great tour that I took in April with Karen Cornell and Juan Perez, who drove me around Cuenca and pointed out areas of the city where gringos live, I consult my bus guide and head out.

First stop - around the Oro Verde hotel - lots of condos and apartments in this area.



Here are the condos with the views of the city that I saw on the Internet. But they are all gated and locked up tight. I scan the buildings for 'se arriende' notices, but can't find any.

Bueno, across the river is a residential area where there might be something. I hoof it over there, but not before noticing this lady doing her laundry in the river alongside the condos. This is actually a pretty common site all over Cuenca, but a little more striking next to these luxury buildings.




Over in the residential area, I crisscross the streets, but find no signs, just very nice homes, many with their own security kiosks. Again, a nice area, but further from the city center than I'd like to be.


Fortunately for me, my conversational Spanish teacher and new friend Rebecca has a suggestion. Her friend Maria Elena has a little 2-bedroom house behind her house that she wants to rent. During Friday's session, we walk over to Maria Elena's for a look around. It's right across from the river Tomebamba, and a large green space covers the hill across the river - I think it's a public garden.



This is the house from the street - flower gardens in front and back, with the little house in the rear. Even though the house is on a busy street, once those gates close, it's quiet and secluded.

Located in theVergel neighborhood, it is within walking distance of the center of town, and there is a bus stop at the end of the block. Rebecca lives in this neighborhood, so she shows me around, pointing out good restaurants, a place for a hair cut, doctor's office. Me encanta - I love it.

There is an American couple in the house right now - looking for a permanent place (!), so I can't get inside to take a look. I have to be satisfied with walking around the outside on this first visit.

Maria Elena says that for a long term renter she would be willing to get WiFi and provide laundry facilities. A small dog is okay with her and there is a storage building nearby for my shipment when it arrives.

It all feels good to me, and I can only hope that the couple currently in residence has fantastic luck and finds a permanent place soon, so I can take a look at the inside and seal the deal. Oh, did I mention the rent?  $300/month all utilities included!

No comments:

Post a Comment