Comerford Dam, Vermont

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Second Thoughts and Reservations

It's time for me to 'fess up to some extreme tunnel vision in planning this adventure. I failed to take a couple of things into consideration and they are now staring me right in the face.

I failed to consider how my medical problems (resulting in part from my earlier travels) would play out in Ecuador. And they are not playing out well. I haven't been able to sample the vast array of restaurant food here, because my digestive system is not tolerating the food well. Yuk!


And while I was thinking about all the things that I wanted to escape from, I failed to take into account all the things that I valued in Vermont. Washed out roads and lousy weather aside.

I didn't think about what it would mean to miss Friday night dinner at my friend's house every week, or how much I would miss my opera buddy.

I'm thinking about it now, that's for sure!

But, in fact, the real issue is that I don't feel safe in Cuenca as a woman alone. I have been all over the city on foot, and I have walked the parks and neighborhoods, and I am constantly looking over my shoulder. I don't feel comfortable going out at night. I feel constrained.

So now I'm going to spend some serious time thinking about what's important to me at this point and I'll let you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment